Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Size 42 shoe?!

TUESDAY 03/02/10

To get out of the house, I decided to just wander down Avenida Santa Fe (the main avenue by my house) and do some browsing of the shops around.  I really want to get a pair of Argentine sandals (they’re kind of like hermes sandals) – footwear is the number one indicator of being an outsider.  I was anticipating not finding my size, because just as in Madrid, they end at size 40 and I’m a 42 – la gigante, but I wasn’t quite prepared for the reaction from the first salesman that I asked – he just looked at me with eyes like a deer in headlights and let out a cross between a gasp and a laugh and said “Qué?!” as if I had asked for a pair of clown shoes.  Encouraging!  I decided to focus on clothes, but even then, the quality is just not the same – skirts with very thin fabric that is nearly transparent, even if a darker color, shirts with threads sticking out of them, and pants with the crotch down to the knees (the harem pants).  So my search switched directions again and I went in search of helado.  I found a great heladeria in Recoleta, Faricci – I had dulce de leche and banana split (which is banana with dulce de leche laced in).  It was perfectly creamy!!

Headed back home and made some beef and spinach ravioli with mushroom sauce (sounded good when I bought it, but the packaged sauces are just not up to par here).  Tyrone and I went out to find a place to celebrate my birthday, and we had to stop for some more ice cream at a place near our house, Chungo.  Again, wonderful helado!  I had dulce de leche and pistachio and he had dulce de leche and mango-strawberry.  We found a few good places and then headed home.

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel ya, lady! In Peru, they made the same gasp at me when I told them I needed a 38! One salesperson even told me, at the door, that I shouldn't even come in because there wouldn't be anything big enough for me!

    ReplyDelete