Sunday, March 21, 2010

Argentina Abraza a Chile

SATURDAY 03/13/10

What an incredible day!!  The weather was just perfect as I headed out to do a little shopping.  On Friday, I had passed a store with a bunch of skirts imported from India and had fallen in love with them, so I started out by purchasing a few.  I then went to the Recoleta Feria where I had seen some earrings with flowers impressed into mother of pearl.  Then, suited in my new purchases, Meri (the Spaniard that I had met at the political debate group) and 2 other friends of hers met Tyrone and me to go to a benefit concert for Chile.  The names on the roster were some huge musicians in Argentina – Leon Gieco, Andres Calamaro, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, and an appearance from Ricardo Darin (the lead actor from El Secreto de Sus Ojos).  We didn’t realize what a large scale concert it would be, but as we went to catch the bus, the lines were extremely long and the buses just passed by, as they were already full.  We decided to walk (since it wasn’t very far…by my measurement), and there were hordes of people going in the same direction. 

























(crowd heading to the park)



















(collecting donations)



















(crowd heading to the park)



















(collecting donations)


We arrived to find the crowd just packed – it was in a large park near the regional airport. 




















It was an amazing day to be out in the open, listening to music, drinking mate…and the solidarity of the people just impressed me!! 



















(Leon Gieco)




















(D-mente)



















(mixture of Cataluña, Argentina, New Zealand & France)



















(Geraldine & I)





































Around 100,000 people attended, and they collected 12 tons of supplies that filled 7 trucks.

www.clarin.com/diario/2010/03/14/sociedad/s-02158964.htm

www.elargentino.com/nota-81724-seccion-109-El-festival-solidario-Argentina-abraza-a-Chile-recaudo-mas-de-40-toneladas-de-alimentos-y-ropa.html

After the concert, to let everyone clear out, we went to a bar in the area (which was a VERY upscale area).  Then, the group of us, which consisted mainly of me and the Catalanes (people from Catalunia, Spain) went for dinner at Artemisia (the vegetarian restaurant in Palermo Hollywood).  We had some fantastic wine and appetizers of Latin American tapas (guacamole, vegetarian ceviche, corn empanadas) and baked pears with goat cheese.  The stuffed salmon entrée that I had was equally delectable!

It was so nice to have a perfect evening of great company and wonderful conversation, that I didn’t want to rush it.  After finishing the dinner quite late (around 1:00 am), I topped the night off at Naty’s birthday party with all of the rugby players.



















(Naty, the cumpleanera & Auro)





















No comments:

Post a Comment