Sunday, March 21, 2010

Extranjeros y Culturas

FRIDAY 03/05/10

There was a restaurant that I had passed multiple times and was dying to try…so I finally went there for lunch.  As I sat down, the owner of the restaurant asked me where I was from, and when I told him, he immediately went into perfect English saying that he lived in Minnesota for the last year!  He worked for Northwest Airlines and lived in Minnetonka!!  It was just CRAZY.  He’s from Argentina but had worked for Continental for 17 years before going with NWA for the past year.  Now, he gave it all up, opened a restaurant in Salt Lake City and the one here in Palermo Hollywood.  Like I say, you can’t get too far from the Midwest.  He also said that 2 other girls from MN had come into the restaurant the previous day.  The gigantic pear and ginger licuado (fruit smoothie) and the salmon and goat cheese ravioli definitely lived up to my expectations.  I will certainly patronize the fellow “Minnesotan” (especially for their Sunday brunch, which is not a traditional custom here where coffee and a croissant are considered breakfast).

I had read on the BA Cultural Group of Couchsurfing about a photo exhibit that featured 22 different photographers who each did their own piece on immigrants in Argentina at the Centro Cultural Borges, and so I went to the center of the city to check it out.

www.muestraextranjero.com.ar/muestra.html
www.muestraextranjero.com.ar/fotos.html

It really was a great representation of the different faces that are present here in Buenos Aires and around the country.  The website displays all of the photos, but unfortunately, it doesn't provide the explanation - which gives the context of the scenes.  I always love to do a comparative of the immigration in different countries and see the parallels and differences that immigrants face from one geographic location to another.  For a country that was also "founded" by immigrants and continues to receive people from new areas (and struggles with accepting them), it was very encouraging to see some positive depictions and some of the more difficult realities of immigrants who both arrived recently and those who have been settled here for decades.
   
Next to the “Extranjero” exhibit, there was a full exhibit of Steve McCurry’s photographs - I imagine he's well-known in the photography world (and maybe the rest of the world), but it was my first time seeing his work.  He completely captures the essence of his subjects and moves the spectator.  If you do a Google image search for his name, you'll get most of the photos on exhibit.


www.ccborges.org.ar/index2.htm
www.stevemccurry.com/main.php

After sitting around the apartment for a bit, I started to get the itch to go dancing.  I noticed on the BA Salsa Dancing Couchsurfing group that a Polish-Australian guy was in town and was going to go to Azucar (a salsa club that I had been to the last time I was here).  I contacted him and Fer (the Colombian that I had gotten together with the previous week), and we all met up.  It was a fabulous night of dancing without having to listen to reggaeton or talk to obnoxious guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment