Sunday, March 21, 2010

A night out in P. Hollywood

FRIDAY 03/12/10

Through Couchsurfing, I “met” a girl from Madrid, Geraldine, who was going to be in Buenos Aires for 2 ½ days and wanted someone to show her around.  We started in Plaza Serrano with some picadas and continued to the Botanical Gardens.  She also wanted to see the Japanese Garden, and despite my underwhelming experience the previous week, I brought her there.  Another park on her list was Plaza Francia – so, we walked there, as I do everywhere…but it proved to a bit farther than she was hoping for (especially after having just gotten in the day before and being a bit exhausted)…I have learned that I need to have different measurements when walking – the “Lauren” distance and the “normal” distance.  I really enjoyed having someone to walk around the city with and share some good company!  She’s actually from France and lives in Madrid – her boyfriend is from Cordoba, Argentina, and he had to come to finish up an exam for school, so she was traveling for a week before meeting him in Cordoba.

After leaving Geraldine at Avenida 9 de Julio, I walked back home (yup! did double the distance of walking!).  I stopped for a café cortado and ordered the merienda (midday snack) titled “Tazón” (large cup) that included a café, toast and OJ.  I thought the name was just the name of the menu item, but it turns out that I got nearly a soup cup of café cortado – I felt ridiculous!  I’ve gotten so used to my little espresso cups – I didn’t even realize that the large mugs were an option in Argentina – and I didn’t want that much.  But another lesson learned.

The brother of a friend of my friend, Julia (figure that out!) was playing with his reggae band at Niceto Club – a club near my house.  It was a great concert, and Julia was with a bunch of her friends from high school and their parents – it reminded me of when we’d go to see Bob Manning and the Real Deal...except that this was in a club similar to 1st Ave (on a smaller scale), and it was reggae that all the parents were getting down to!




















(Leonchalon)



















(Julia & I)



















(Julia & her friends - the one on the right is the one who's brother is in the band)

Afterward, we grabbed some pizza at a restaurant across the street and then, I headed to a birthday party of a friend of my friend, Nacho.  It was the same group with whom I had gone to El Tigre the previous weekend – such a blast!!  We just sat outside of a small bar and listened to more of their childhood stories. 



















(Nacho, Meli & Pablo)


(la cumpleanera & Juan P's sister)



















(Nacho & the chicas)



















(Juan P & the cumpleanera)



















(the group)

It was my first night actually going out in Palermo Hollywood – and it really has some onda!

No comments:

Post a Comment