Sunday, March 21, 2010

El día de los jardines

THURSDAY 03/04/10


To get to know the area a bit more and enjoy the wonderfully beautiful day outside, I decided to explore the many gardens in my area.  I had run around them multiple times, but hadn’t taken the time to appreciate them.  I started at the Botanical Gardens, which are about 6 blocks from my house.  Even though there are busy streets all around, there is serenity in just being surrounded by plants and large trees that have withstood the urban development.























































































Then, it was on to the Japanese Gardens.  As beautiful as they were to look at…that’s their sole purpose.  I guess that I’m just one who likes to be incorporated into the nature, rather than observe it.












































































(lots of carp)






























































I did see the first wildlife in Buenos Aires that wasn’t a pigeon or stray cat, though!




















The next was the Bosques de Palermo with its various small gardens.
























































Garden of the Poets



















(Ruben Darío)




















 
Andalusian Garden












































Rose Garden











































(right in the middle of the city)
































































After my self-guided garden tour, I wandered through the narrow streets of Recoleta and stumbled upon a little area that had curved streets and reminded me of London on a small portion.  I stopped in one of the boutiques in the area that had a lot of clothes that I really liked…but they weren’t made for the grandota (the large one) that I am…everything was about 3 sizes too small in length and width.

SOME THINGS THAT I SAW ALONG MY WALK:



















(there's also a Roosevelt Avenue)




















 (Avenida Libertador - a big one)




















(how is it that the lane is both directions?!)




















(they had a count-down to the Oscars)

Upon returning home, I did a little yoga before going out to dinner for my birthday.  I had invited the people that I had gotten close to in the short time that I’ve been here – Vanessa and the rugby crew (mixture of Canada, France and Argentina), Tyrone (New Zealand), Julia (Argentina), Gabi (U.S.) and Giancarlo (U.S.).  Then, each of them brought along additional friends, so it was quite a great turn out and a relaxing night of good food and company!



















(Tyrone's friends - (the guys are from Chile & the UK) & Melodie (MN & graduated from the U of M in 2006!))



















(Julia's friend (south of Argentina); Giancarlo (WI); Tyrone's friend (U.S.))



















(Julia & her friend - both Argentina)




















(the rugby girls - Majo; Aurore (France); Naty (Argentina); Vanessa (Canada))



















(Matias (Argentina))



















(Gabi (U.S.) & her friend (Argentina))




















(picadas)



















(super panchos - Argentines love their hot dogs!)

It was also the owner, Monica’s birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment