Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dance show

SUNDAY 05/30/10

For my first time in 8 years, I performed on a theater stage.  I took the whole experience in – trying to prolong the hustle and bustle in the dressing rooms, the butterflies in the stomach while waiting backstage, and the feeling of stagelights coming on as I entered with the first steps.  But to go backward a little bit, the reality of performing again set in when we had our dress rehearsal the previous Thursday.  I arrived at the old Teatro Santa María with its domed ceiling and intricate carvings and was immediately transported to Northrup Auditorium where I had spent so many weekends throughout my youth.



















Dancers were stretching in the aisles and in the chairs while Facundo (my instructor) and his wife, Laura, were giving directions to those on stage.  Unfortunately, I was a bit tired and weighted down from the dreary weather that had set in, and the rehearsal didn’t bring me too much confidence.  Friday’s practice at the studio improved, though, as we clarified some of the shaky timing areas (and considering we only knew the dance 2 weeks, shakiness was expected, but had to be ironed out in 2 days).  We had another rehearsal on Saturday at a studio in Belgrano, and watching all of the other numbers got me excited for the whole production.

The show consisted of 2 numbers from Facundo’s students and the rest were students of Laura and another woman, along with a few invited professional dancers.  The dances were primarily contemporary with touches of flamenco, afro-caribbean, and theater.  The invited professional dancers represented Argentine folkloric, samba and traditional Indian dances.

As I approached the theater at 5:00 pm on the spot with my make up done and hair ready, as was instructed, there was a herd of dancers outside…the doors were still not open.  The building manager finally opened them about 10 minutes later and it still took another half hour for Facundo and Laura to show up (they had issues catching a taxi).  I also noticed that hardly anybody had their stage makeup on yet…what an American I was!  Heading down the hallway below stage, we passed by rows of private dressing rooms and old sets.

stairs to the dressing rooms


































































los camarines - dressing rooms










































Since I had quite a bit of time (being that I was already ready and only one dance to worry about), I did a little exploring of the theater.

backstage staircase
























the four of us


















Facundo and I


















As 7:30 pm rolled around, we could hear the music starting above us and the people taking their seats.  The excitement was upon us.  Our first number was “Respiraciones” – all of Facundo and Laura’s students came together to perform our breathing warm ups in a round – it was a very creative way to start the show and gave us all a chance to breath and feel some unity, even though we were all from different studios.  Afterward, it was time to go downstairs and wait for our numbers while really warming up.

The three girls that were performing with me were also in a trio, so I stood in the wings and did my best to take pictures of them without a flash.





































getting ready for our number










































Then, it was time for our dance…the nerves started up just in time…the lights were out, the audience was silent, and the last thoughts of what to remember were running through my mind…the music started up and the girls started going and it was time to step out…I was ready.  Of course with all of the adrenaline, the music seemed overly slow (despite the fast pace of the dance), but I felt assured with every movement and just enjoyed myself.

As we ran off stage, I couldn’t help but jump with the swelling energy and euphoria.  

backstage waiting to take our bow
























There were only a few more numbers after us, we went back on stage to take our bow and then it was over…but such a wonderful evening that I will cherish forever!  What was even more meaningful were the eight friends that showed up to support my 2 minute, 10 second dance!  Marisa, Meri, Flor, Lluis, Lourdes, Tyrone, Henry and Naoko all came.

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I could have been there to see you dance! I was there in spirit!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeee! That's so exciting! Did anyone record YOU dancing??

    ReplyDelete