Monday, May 10, 2010

BAFICI Celebrity Siting: Angela Basset

THURSDAY 04/15/10

The Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Cinema (BAFICI) is a 2 week long film festival that highlights 422 films, showing every hour, every day, between 3-4 theaters.  After volunteering, I went to eat lunch at Mussetta Café, the restaurant kitty-corner from my house, and as I entered, I noticed two women that seemed a bit out of place (mainly because they were black, which signaled to me that they weren’t Argentine – not too much diversity in the main areas of the city).  I sat down, and then recognized one as looking awfully familiar.  The table next to them had 2 Argentine gentlemen who were chatting with them briefly.  From the attitude of the women, I realized they were not even your typical rude Americans – it was definitely Angela Basset and a friend of hers.  They we wearing BAFICI name tags and an interpreter joined them halfway through their meal.  It was kind of exciting to think of a celebrity right in my neighborhood.

That night, my friend, Ana, and I went to a showing of one of the films for the BAFICI, La Cinta Blanca.  It was a German film (with Spanish subtitles) – an interesting black and white film that takes place in a small town pre-WWI.

No comments:

Post a Comment