Sunday, May 16, 2010

Argentina Abraza a Argentina

SUNDAY 05/16/10

After the success of the benefit concert for Chile in March, Argentina decided to help their own people by putting on a similar show to raise donations of polenta, rice and pasta for the food shelves of Argentina.  We saw Los Cafres, No Te Va a Gustar, Los Auténticos Decadentes and Fidel – all Argentine and Uruguayan rock bands with reggae and ska sounds.  It was a great concert, but we ended up having very frozen feet and hands and left before it finished.


















No Te Va a Gustar



































I’ve got to say that Los Auténticos Decadentes were quite representative of a part of the Argentine culture.  They were decked out in random costumes: an Argentine flag, a large cloth clown hat, and many others; the music was a mix between ska and just plain silliness with a variety of sounds from violins, large leather drums, trumpets, base, trombones, etc.  They skip and jump around the stage while the rest of the crowd goes nuts dosey-do-ing and jumping along.  It’s the part of Argentina that never wants to grow up – the ones who live in Neverland – they continue their boludeses (stupidity) without a care in the world.  I guess that this is a part that I just can’t fully appreciate, due to my straighter personality and being raised in a society that promotes being “responsible” and “mature.”  (I took these lessons at a very young age and have tried to let some of it go, but when I do, I eventually return to my instinct to do the “right” thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment