Monday, May 10, 2010

To continue the multicultural weekend…

SUNDAY 04/18/10

I went to San Telmo for a couple of hours to search for gifts – I got nearly everything that I was looking for.  I also found some great leather shoes that I decided not to buy at the time, but couldn’t stop thinking about them.  (Of course, I went back the next day to look for them, and it appears they’re only available during the art festival on Sundays.)


 
















(Casa Rosada - equivalent to their White House)

















(cow hides at the flea market)

Then, I rushed back to have an asado with Marisa’s parents and the roommates.  Being my 4th asado in 10 days, I think I’ll be covered on the meat front for a while.  Her parents were great – such characters!  Her dad is this large German-decent man who just keeps the jokes coming.  But he definitely has an Argentine touch to him – after working near the grill for hours and with the beautiful sunny day (that was supposed to be rainy), he unbuttoned his shirt halfway to reveal a chain necklace – so latino!

























(Marisa's dad)


 
















(the "rainy" day)



















(the crew - Marisa's dad, Joe [australia], Ariel [argentina], Angela [switzerland], Marisa's mom, Marisa)



















(the crew + me)


















(the kilo of ice cream that we had delivered after the asado)

That night, some of my Spanish friends and I went to a concert of a singer-songwriter, Tontxu, from the Basque Country in Spain.  As I left the house, Marisa warned me to bring my umbrella – the skies had opened up to reveal lightning encircling the city.  It hadn’t started raining yet, so I decided to walk as far as I could.  I made it about halfway before it started, but it was so refreshing to be outside, that I continued…and it started to come to down harder.  About 20 minutes from the café, I stopped on a large street to catch a cab, but at this point, all were full or wouldn’t stop for wet customers.  I shared my umbrella with a girl carrying a portfolio with her work, and as it started to hail, we took refuge under an awning.  Cars immediately darted under the roof of a gas station across the way, as the last time it had hailed, it was so large that it broke car windows.  


 















 
It was only about the size of a marble, but it lasted a good 10 minutes.  (In the suburbs, the hail did get to the size of golf balls and caused quite a lot of damage.)  Finally, as it dissipated, I continued on my way to the concert.

It was in another small club in Palermo Hollywood (blocks from my old house) that had such a great intimate feel with pillows distributed around the floor for the audience to sit on, along with bistro tables and the bleacher-style seating.  





































It was a perfect Sunday evening concert – a wonderfully soothing voice and quite an entertainer. 


 





























































































We got to wait around after the concert and meet him, too!  A very down to earth guy.  He’d taken a break for about 10 years, and now has begun touring and seemed to have fallen in love with Argentina.


No comments:

Post a Comment