Tuesday, May 4, 2010

From the top to the bottom

MONDAY 04/12/10

After getting a bit more oriented the day before (and finally feeling 100% healthy for the first time in over a week), I was invigorated to get outside and explore the outdoors.

























(the cuckoo clock)

























I walked around the city to get back to the base of the sierra where the Aerosilla was – it took about 1 hour (with a small detour as I needed directions).  At the base was also a walking path up the other side of the sierra to arrive at a cross (as most Latin American cities either have a cross or a Jesus overlooking the people).




















Outfitted in jeans, a tank top, and my Teva shoes, I tackled that mountain with more ease than I was expecting – passing people as I ascended.

























































































































(a few fellow hikers...that I passed!)





























































(there were 14 small crosses to reach the big cross)





































Pato had mentioned that it would take about 30 minutes, and halfway through, I did begin to doubt him, but in the end, he was exactly right – I got up the 2 kilometers in 30 minutes, without my inhaler!



















(the top)

























It just felt great to be outside and in nature.  There were more people hiking it for a Monday than I had expected.  Also, the wind must have been in a direction that carried the traffic noise – even at the top of the sierra, I couldn’t escape the sounds of civilization.







































































































































































































I headed back down and went to the center of the city to do some souvenir shopping.  I realized that it was already 2:00 pm and most shops were starting to close for the siesta.  Luckily, the store that I had my eye on stayed open just long enough for me to purchase my first mate…and a few other items.



















(Puente de Uruguay - lights up at night - where the Rally exhibition is)

From there, I walked down the costanera to have lunch with Cristian at his restaurant, and then I continued down the costanera to the end.  Along the coastline path, there’s an old part, which isn’t very well-kept and the parks are filled with garbage, and then you arrive at the new part that is palm-lined and pristine.

 



























































(herons)



















(many cyclers)




















It was a very nice walk – and I even had a little company.















































































































































































(garbage & nature - part of the older portion of the costanera)

So, I had gone to the top of Carlos Paz and the very end of the coastline, and it was time to relax.  As I passed by the restaurant, Cristian and his business partner, Toto, were relaxing on the deck, so I joined them.



















(last sunset on the lake)

It was one of the server’s last days before he took a vacation, so another asado was in order.  Cristian’s girlfriend and her son and friend joined us from Córdoba, and it was a relaxing last evening at the restaurant.



















(Pato, Cristián & I)

No comments:

Post a Comment