Friday, May 14, 2010

Intentions being realized

FRIDAY 05/14/10

One of the areas of focus here in Buenos Aires was to perform contemporary dance again.  Just before I had left, my contemporary dance instructor had asked me to be in his wife’s student show on May 30.  When I returned, he confirmed that I would still be in the show and actually proceeded to choreograph a brand new dance to include me.  It was exactly the style that I was hoping to dance: the music had a lot of percussion and a strong sound, which was reflected in the choreography with sharp movements, leg extensions, quick turns and forceful transitions.  I was absolutely rejuvenated after class and made sure to fit the three days of practice per week, plus the dress rehearsals, into my schedule!

Another goal of mine was to continue working with immigrants.  Through volunteering with the foundation for refugees, I had begun to complete this, but I had only been shadowing the attorney.  We conducted one more interview together after I returned, and then I was riding solo.  Being in the driver’s seat gave me a great deal of pride and confidence to have stepped out of an administrative role and into more of a counseling position.  I start the interviews by describing what the foundation’s role is for the refugee’s case and noting all biographic information.  The refugee then shares their story of why and how they came to Buenos Aires, which is followed by an explanation of the refugee petitioner’s rights and obligations.  The information that I am transmitting is not only pertinent to refugees here in Buenos Aires, but to those worldwide, as each country’s law regarding refugees are based around the United Nations’ guidelines.  At the same time, however, I am also learning a great deal about Argentina’s immigration law to offer alternative options if a refugee petition is denied.

It’s very interesting how many people here (and most likely elsewhere) don’t know what a refugee is – some think that it’s a homeless person; others think that it’s all immigrants who come without papers.  When I start to explain that it’s someone who has left their county for being persecuted for race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion and who fears returning, the mood always seems to lighten (when they realize that it isn’t one of the “ugly immigrants” who is causing crime, taking a job from an Argentine, or loafing on the street, of course) and questions begin flowing:

From which countries are most refugees?  Primarily, western Africa, Colombia and Cuba (and now there have been some from Haiti, of course). 
Can refugees come here with papers?  Yes, many do – Colombians, in particular, come legally through the MERCOSUR agreement that doesn’t require a visa, but they seek refugee status for protection from the FARC and guerrillas in their country.
How do the ones originating in Africa arrive in Buenos Aires?  Most by boat – smuggled on or they pay for false documents – a majority has no idea where they’re being sent, but expect that they’ll arrive in Canada or the U.S.

After the accomplishments of volunteering and dance class, I was highly motivated…so much so that I went to the supermarket and bought ingredients to COOK.  For those who know me, I don’t usually take the time to make a fresh meal, but that’s another project here – since I have time in the day to attempt to cook.  I chose a vegetarian pasta recipe with eggplant, mushrooms, garlic, red pepper flakes (which didn’t exist in the store, so I went with fresh peppers instead), onions, tomatoes, thyme…and goat cheese as its key ingredient.  I found everything except for the thyme (as I had forgotten to look up the Spanish name before going shopping).  I bought “estragón,” just to see what it was – turns out to be tarragon (not quite interchangeable), but I did find “tomillo” (thyme) in Marisa’s spices.  After the ingredients were chopped and simmering (and smelling mighty tasty), I hesitantly opened the goat cheese, as Argentine cheese just is never done quite right – it ended up having the consistency of cream cheese and the smell and taste of sour cream…even though it CAME FROM a goat, it just didn’t cut it for the recipe.  But the pasta did last me a week’s worth of lunches, snacks or dinners!!

To top the day off, Meri and I went to the last Yusa concert with my other friend, Ana, and her friend, Analia.  Yusa is from Cuba, and I had seen her a few weeks before going to the U.S.  She had played for 5 weeks in Buenos Aires, toured Argentina and Chile and then returned this night for her good-bye concert.  Afterward, Ana, Analia and I went to the same bar that I had gone to after the last concert and enjoyed some wine on the roof – it had warmed up enough to still enjoy the patios and terrazas, even in the equivalent of November.

Analia, Ana and I

















No comments:

Post a Comment