Friday, February 26, 2010

A perfectly beautiful day for a run

FRIDAY 02/26/10

So, I finally found out why I wasn’t receiving anyone’s calls or texts and why my phone never had credit:  I went to recharge my phone with minutes (and it happened to be a day where you get double the minutes), but I never received a confirmation text of the recharge.  I finally decided to verify my phone number and realized that I had somehow thought it ended in 6881, when it really ends in 7881.  Wow!!   Whoever has the 6881 number is quite lucky with the minutes that I put on it…and unlucky at the same time, as they keep getting all of my phone calls.  Well, glad that was all figured out – minus the money lost!

Went for a run around the Bosques de Palermo – ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!  Huge palm trees, lots of grass and man-made “lakes” with trails all around.  It’s 10 times better than Retiro in Madrid.

Headed out to look at a house near Vanessa’s apartment…and I’m finally getting close to ending the search!  The owner, a 38-year-old woman who owns her own travel agency, completely renovated it.  She’s so sweet and open and has tons of friends who are serious salsa and tango dancers!  She said that all of their asados and parties end in dancing!  (Just like ours, Amanda!)  There will be an Aussie tango dancer moving in in the end of March and possibly a couple from San Francisco who also dance and are chefs!

From there, I made my way to Caballito (the neighborhood I stayed in last time – much less ex-pats, but a great part of the city).  After waiting about 10 minutes, I saw my bus was approaching, I looked down to get my money, and when I looked back up realized it had just passed by, despite the 10 people waving it down.  We had to wait another 5 minutes or so for a completely packed bus.  It didn’t really seem to empty the entire 30 minutes I was on it.  I finally arrived at the house, and it took my breath away.  It has huge ceilings, very bright but has a warm feeling.  The owner is definitely all-business – she’s a photographer and does quite a lot of traveling.  The main issue for her is that I would be gone the month of July, and she’s going to be out of the country May through August.  It did help me to remember how much I love Caballito, and I’ll definitely try to live there at some point while I’m down here.

I made my way back home, even after taking the bus too far and having to catch the subte.  Tyrone and I went to a local parrilla and had some ensalada rusa (potatoes, carrots and peas with mayonnaise), 3 large chunks of wonderfully juicy beef tenderloin with chimichurri sauce (garlic and olive oil and spices), papas fritas a la provencal (with parsley and garlic) and a 500 ml pitcher of house wine – all for $11 each!

No comments:

Post a Comment