Sunday, February 21, 2010

Don’t wait until 5:00 pm to eat lunch

THURSDAY 02/18/10

Woke up and walked down to Recoleta/Barrio Norte to look at an apartment.  I took a very nice street with a tree-lined median and little shops and restaurants – very nice day out for a stroll.  The apartment was an interior apartment with 2 “patios” (1st floor shaft patios – not much light).  There is a Minnesotan who’s staying there, coincidentally!  (Another odd connection – my roommate ended up meeting her at an asado a few days later.)  Later in the afternoon, I looked at another apartment, which was really nice & in my barrio, but the room is completely interior – no windows (no fire escape?!), which was a let down, since I really liked the apartment and there are 4 foreign roommates.  The owner of the place took me on a little walking tour of the area – pointing out all of the local bars, restaurants, and clubs, which was nice, since I haven’t quite explored the entire neighborhood yet.

By this time, it was 5:00 pm, which is when most restaurants close until dinner around 9:00 pm, and despite my hunger, I went in search of a new restaurant to try – wandering around trying not to take the same street twice, or at least not the same side of the street, so that people didn’t think I was crazy.  But I ended up going back to Miranda (where I had the pork tenderloin).  I ordered a chicken salad with sweet potatoes, sundried tomatoes, sunflower seeds & mustard vinaigrette – also absolutely incredible!!  Definitely worth the return!!

Mauri, the guy that I had met the previous week when looking at his house, had a show at a Mexican restaurant (decorated in Frida Kahlo decor) up near his house.  It was a cute little restaurant, and his band plays traditional love ballads – a really nice evening out.



















Calu (his roommate) and I watched them play and then we headed back to their house.  Again, we spent a few hours just chattin’ – another great evening to be on their patio!



















(Calu & Mauri)

No comments:

Post a Comment