Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Good eats

TUESDAY 02/16/10

Woke up to more drizzling rain and decided not to go Puerto Madero for lunch as I had anticipated.  Stayed home until the later afternoon as it dried up and then went out for lunch in my barrio.  I went to a parrilla that I had passed a few times and had wanted to try.  And thank goodness I did…I ate the best pork tenderloin I have ever had!  It was a large portion, but juicy and so flavorful, with a sweet tomato marmalade.  It was accompanied by a grilled onion, apple and sweet potato and a tangy pico de gallo.  Top it all off with a glass of malbec, and I was content!  After relaxing a bit at the restaurant, I stopped in a little bohemian café for a café cortado and then went home.  Later in the evening, I caught the colectivo (bus) to La Catedtral, a burlesque tango venue that I had gone to the last time that I was here, and met up with the francesas that had come to Gualeguaychú.  Evidently, we signed ourselves up for a group tango class, which was a great way to start the evening, but really all I could think about were the picadas (small appetizers) that I had the last time I was there.  After more than an hour of the class, and putting up with a rather arrogant guy from Miami (followed by a really sweet Argentine), I went to find an American friend of Nicole’s, Gabi, who tangos frequently.  She introduced me to her friend, Maxi, and the 3 of us sat around chatting and enjoying the picadas.  I danced a few more tangos, but as it got later, I just couldn’t force myself to concentrate on the steps, so I watched the live band that played until about 3:00 am and then took a taxi home – a great first milonga of my time here!

No comments:

Post a Comment