Saturday, February 6, 2010

Don’t take advice on discotecas from guys that you meet on Craigslist (especially if you are a guy taking that advice)

SATURDAY 02/06/10

Saturday started a little bit dreary, but the weather improved throughout the afternoon.  Tyrone and I took the colectivo (city bus) to the Recoleta Feria (weekly open-air art fair), except we caught one of the only buses that doesn’t go into Recoleta, so we did a little walking tour of an area that he had been.  It was definitely the swanky part of town – with the most expensive hotel (Alvear Palace) and a building with windows painted on.

(the windows in the middle are real)

On the way to the Feria, we passed some incredibly large trees that I hadn’t noticed last time.

 





































(this one needed poles to hold it up)

Due to the rain, a lot of vendors weren’t out, but I still got the pan relleno (bread filled with various ingredients) that I had been dreaming about for a year.  We ran into a few guys that Tyrone had met earlier – from Australia & New Zealand – they’re traveling South America for 3 months – definitely seemed like they were out to have a good time.

We made our way back home and had lunch at Bio Restaurant – an organic restaurant down the block from our house.  It was great to have some fresh food!  (…despite the usually inattentive service.)  I ended up waiting an extra half hour to pay the bill after Tyrone went home to do some work – but I had my book to read, so it was just fine.  The only uncomfortable part was that they were closing up for their break from 5-8 pm, and yet, I still had to ask for the bill, and it took another good 5 minutes for her to bring me change.  I really think I need to get a serving job here – I don’t know what they do with all of their time, but it certainly doesn’t seem like a very demanding job.

That night, we decided to go out to a club that Tyrone had heard about from a guy on Craigslist.  It was by the river on the north side of the city – an area with many upscale discotecas.  The taxi driver dropped us off on the freeway and we only had to walk a little ways to the club.  As we were approaching, we noticed that most of the people going in that direction were young – around 17 or 18.  And as we were standing in line, it began to dawn on us that there were MANY more men (or boys) than women, but we went ahead (as we were on a “list” and didn’t have to pay the cover).  Immediately upon entering, we realized it was quite “gay-friendly” and just not exactly the scene we were in the mood for.  So, we headed down the road to another club – while standing in line, we debated over going in, but it too was full of kids my sister’s age, so we decided to spare the time & money and head home.

By this time, it was 3:00 a.m. (we had started going out at 1:30 a.m.), and I looked at my phone and saw that my friend, Santiago (from ELDB) had texted me.  He & Vanessa were at Maluco Beleza – a Brazilian club they had brought me to last year, and I’ve been obsessing about it ever since (if anyone’s heard me talking about Zouk Lambada, this is where it takes place).  So, I figured it’s 12:00 a.m. in MN (or better, it’s 3:00 a.m. in BA!), I can still go out!  Vanessa was there with some of the girls that will be coming to Gualeguaychú with us this weekend.  We got some good dancing in and had the opportunity of watching some fine male specimens (and one female) doing choreographed Brazilian dances.  The night ended for us around 5:00 a.m. – and quite a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment