Thursday, November 18, 2010

First haircut

Error #1:  I chose a salon named Bangs, thinking that they’d at least cut bangs well.  I was mistaken.  Here’s the routine in an Argentine peluquería:

1)  Someone takes you to wash your hair.  This is before sitting down with the stylist so that they can see how your hair is dry.  The washer gives you the option of shampoo – shouldn’t they know what’s best?  If you’re hoping for a nice massaging wash, forget it.  They just kind of pick at the hair as if it were a dead animal trying not to touch it too much.

2)  The hair is wrapped up in a towel and you’re brought to the stylist.

3)  You tell the stylist what you’re looking for – using the most detail and care in choosing the correct words – but it doesn’t matter.  He (and it’s about 90% of the time a male) starts to grab chunks of hair and chops away without any concern for what you had requested.  It’s kind of like when Edward Scissorhands goes in fast motion and creates a beauty out of bush – except this time, it’s gone wrong.

When I was finally handed the mirror, I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible and at least get the chemical-smelling shampoo out of my hair.  I got home, took the scissors of John’s Swiss army knife and cleaned up the uneven chunks that stuck out all around my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment