Thursday, June 3, 2010

A man and woman traveling together…and they aren’t even dating!


As Tyrone and I boarded our “cama suite” bus, the driver questioned why we were sitting in different rows – and it was only the beginning of people mistaking us for a couple.  Here, it seems that a guy and a girl don’t travel together if they’re not dating.  Imagine the further confusion when we told people that we lived together for a while, but that we were just roommates – this really doesn’t occur here much.  (As a side note: This is another reason that I’ve found a lot of Argentines live with their parents until they get married; the culture of having roommates is not as common here.  Apartments are so expensive for Argentines to rent on their own, but the concept of sharing it with someone is just not considered.)

I took the very front seat on the top level of the bus and got settled into my large reclining chair with a curtain to close off the people around me.  Immediately as we boarded, a rather nervous and shaky attendant warily poured glasses of Gancia with 7Up or Fernet with Coke.  He reminded me of the bell hop in the movie, “Priceless”; so unsure, but endearing at the same time.  The first movie began – “Dear John,” which I had seen two days prior with Marisa.  Even though it was a movie that I was fine only seeing once, at least this time, it had the correct Spanish subtitles.  The one that Marisa bought was off the black market and the awful translations gave the whole movie a new plot.  I enjoyed my Gancia, and then came the wine with the entradas (appetizers).  Then, more wine with the meal while the second movie started.  “Dos Hermanos” (“Two Siblings”) was a wonderful Argentine comedy about an elderly brother and sister that highlighted some of the great stereotypes of porteños (residents of Buenos Aires): the chismes (rumors) of apartment buildings, the chetos (yuppies), and the work “en negro” (under the table).  To top the night off, we were served some champagne with little “masitas” (pastries).  I slept wonderfully and fully satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment