Sunday, June 20, 2010

Día del Padre


Even though I was heading home in a week, being away for Father’s Day was a little tough.  I went for a run around the Bosques, and as I saw a father and his daughter with a tennis racket in hand getting in the car of her grandfather, the three generations made me want to be at home with my dad and grandpa…but luckily, I didn’t have to wait too much longer.

Later in the afternoon, Flor and I headed to the Feria de Mataderos.  It’s a handicraft fair just outside of the city, and had a more “local” flavor than the ferias in town (San Telmo and Plaza Francia).  Some of the vendors were similar – mates, jewelry, etc. – but there was a lot more food for sale and handmade clothes. 





























































llama


















folklore singers


















dancing folklore
























huge parrilla


















Flor and I each bought gorgeous ponchos made from goat’s hair (which have proven useful in these cold months in non-insulated buildings).



















There was even a “corrida de sortija” where the gauchos are mounted on horseback and gallop down the street with a stick in their mouth that they have to put through a small ring above their head.  



























































































gauchos




























































Flor with a horsey



















Argentine graffiti
 






















 
We ate tamales norteños and some great home-made empanadas and headed back to the city.



































































the man is selling cones filled with dulce de leche!










































We stopped at the end of the San Telmo Feria, where I had been trying to find some shoes I had seen there before.  Rather than finding those specific shoes, though, I did find a pair of high-tops that I absolutely loved.  So, Argentina has forced me to buy my first pair of high-tops since my Tweety Bird All Stars in fourth grade.



















After buzzing home to drop of my purchases and change, Ana and I went to see the Les Luthiers show, Lutherapia.  This group has been together since the 1960s - always inventing new instruments (as luthiers do) and performing comedic acts.  It’s very intellectual comedy and they do a lot of play on words – quite genius!

Teatro Rex























































































































































one of their invented instruments
 



























1 comment: