Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My newfound love for Bazars

MONDAY 03/22/10

The only downside to my new house is the lack of drawers in my room…none in the closet, none in the desk, none in the bathroom.  So, I went on a quest to find organizers for my things – because as everyone knows, my room must be organized!  I headed out to Avenida Cordoba to see if there were any household stores, but all that I found were car dealerships and autopart stores.  I cut over to Avenida Santa Fe, which really only had clothing stores and a few household stores, but they didn’t seem to have much of what I needed.  After walking far enough, I decided that I may as well check out Jumbo (up near where I used to live), assuming that they would have anything, since it’s such a huge WalMart-like store.  To my disappointment, however, they really didn’t have much as far as free-standing drawers and desk organizers.  (They did have the hanging closet organizers, though, which solved the closet issue.)  I also needed a lamp, and didn’t want to spend $40 on a simple light.

On my way to yoga on Avenida Corrientes, I started to peak into the numerous bazaars that were on the street.  They’re little shops that are reminiscent of dollar stores, but actually have some quality goods – mainly household items, sometimes mates (the gourds that we drink yerba mate out of), frequently lamps, so I started to enter them – there’s one every block or so on Corrientes, and I found everything else that I was missing for my room…and more.  I started to enter each one that I passed by and noticed new random items that could (or could not) prove to be useful in the future.  I resisted the urge to purchase anything unnecessary, but they are quite exciting to check out, since you never know the random utensil you may encounter.  Also, I noticed the prices double depending on the neighborhood.  In my part of the city, for instance, the lamp that I bought was $35 pesos (about $9 USD), on the other side of town where I used to live, I found one half the size for the same price and one similar to mine was $70 pesos.  I tried to rationalize with the guy and he wouldn’t come down.  (I should have known not to try to rationalize with an Argentine shopkeeper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment