Sunday, April 25, 2010

Argentine buses are everything they’re rumored to be

THURSDAY 04/08/10

I headed to Villa Carlos Paz, just outside of Córdoba in the center of the country to visit a few good friends, Pato, Cristian and Zequi, that I had met at Concordia Language Villages in 2006. I had heard stories of the incredible bus service in Argentina, and there certainly wasn’t any myth to them. I had the front seat on the 2nd level with the aisle to myself. The seats are wider than first class airplane seats with a foot rest that extends to make a completely horizontal bed.



















I was expecting champagne (which was rumored to be offered on some buses), but I guess I picked the company that doesn’t try to put its customers to sleep with alcohol. As soon as we departed, dinner was served. It began with a tray including fiambres (meats and cheese), a large portion of flan and various types of bread. I thought to myself that it was a good thing that I had eaten before the bus ride – expecting this tray to be the only food available. With perfect timing, however, just as I had finished the meats and cheeses, cups of caldo (broth) were brought around followed by another tray with manicotti. Needless to say, I was sufficiently fed. I guess that the man across the aisle was as well, as he cheerfully snored through the entire overnight ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment