Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Contemporary dance

WEDNESDAY 04/07/10

I went to my second contemporary dance class today, and it was wonderful to really get back into technique! The instructor is also the classical ballet instructor, so I did my first tondu exercise in years…and my foot cramped up! The first class that I went to last week was with a substitute teacher, and she was into the “flying low” method of dancing that’s so popular here – a lot of floor work. I’m open to learning it, but would prefer to focus on more expressive dancing that incorporates turns and standing up. This instructor that I went to today was a phenomenal dancer and teacher, and I can’t wait to go back to his class! His music selection was parallel with my taste as well!!

The studio is 2 ½ blocks from my house and it’s actually a tango studio that offers contemporary, ballet and yoga for dancers. It’s in a huge old 3-story house and has about 4-5 dance studios – it’s something I could picture Leslie Daly (my original instructor at Hopkins Dance) just falling in love with it. After getting my technique back, I will start to dedicate myself to learning tango – when in Buenos Aires, do as the…foreigners do. (There is a surprising number of foreigners who come here purely to learn tango.)

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely learn to tango in Buenos Aires! I am SOOOOOOOOOO jealous.

    ReplyDelete