Monday, December 27, 2010

SALTA: El pueblo de Cafayate

MONDAY 12/27/10 – THURSDAY 12/30/10

Much to our surprise (and relief), I got a knock on the hostel door at 8am with a chipper Javi ready to catch the bus to Cafayate!

Cafayate stole my heart and taught me to love small towns.  Between the mixture of beautiful countryside, vineyards and warm people, I felt completely comfortable.

















Plaza San Martín































The hostel that we stayed at, Route 40, put us right at home with a center patio, firm mattresses, and a family to take care of us.  The owners, Paula and Juan were beyond hospitable and their kids, Juancito (6) and Lucila (3) were absolutely precious – always entertaining us.


















Juancito y Lucila























After all of the traveling and heat, we enjoyed the local camping site’s pool.



















old folks home - I think I could end my days here among the vineyards


















I could be wrong, but I don't think this van is going anywhere any time soon

















the river - hardly any water























5 minutes later: flowing - it had rained in the mountains

















dinner time for the burros



















the road where I'd go running in the morning


















La Comida Salteña

Helados Miranda: The Creator of Wine Ice Cream











































cabernet and torrontes and to finish, dulce de leche flan
















locro
















empanada salteña con una humita
















llama (yup! the animal)
















tamal y humita
















tamal
















zapallito relleno
















Flor, Bruno and I had our last lunch together at Quilla Huasi - some of the best food that we had the entire time.

some of the BEST humita























locro

No comments:

Post a Comment