Sunday, December 19, 2010

Muestra de danza and peña

With very little notice, Facundo, my dance instructor, had invited me to be in another dance show.  I learned the number in a few days, rounded up a costume and performed on stage again.

ensayo / rehearsal

















backstage




















































In honor of one of the folklore dancers with Companía Mitimaes who drowned in the Río Paraná a few months earlier, a peña was put on in his town outside of Capital.  Since I had danced with him in classes and had a personal connection, I decided to accompany Facundo and his fiancée, Laura, to Glew.  It was such a beautiful experience.  As I entered the huge activity structure dedicated to the “Italian Society,” cumbia music was blaring, empanadas were cooking and children were running around.  I joined the few familiar faces in a little cumbia…and then the DJ started up the folklore music.  I took a seat to observe.  There were kids about 16- to 18-years-old wearing big sneakers and sagging jeans, but dancing some incredible zapatero (the male role in folklore that looks like a mixture of Russian dancing and flamenco).  It was a very special event to see so many people out in honor of Gonzálo and the joy that the folklore tradition brought.


















Compañía Mitimaes



No comments:

Post a Comment