Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Aeroparque closed and basureros on strike…but there’s a bicisenda!!

As my driver had warned me when I left Argentina, the domestic airport, Aeroparque, would be closed in October.  It didn’t seem to affect much until I went to collect my luggage.  The line to pass the luggage through the four functioning scanners (that are pretty much a joke anyway) took about an hour to get through because all of the domestic flight were routed through Ezeiza International Airport and must have all arrived at the same time as ours.

My next welcome back to Buenos Aires was the heaps of garbage bags lining the streets.  The basureros (garbagemen) had been on strike for two days.  The garbage collection system in Buenos Aires is one where everyone leaves their garbage on the street starting at 8:00 pm each night (except Saturdays, the basurero’s day off).  Just two days’ worth of garbage had piled up so high that on some corners it was spilling into the streets.  The strike lasted three days, but it certainly made an impact.

















The most beautifully positive part of my return, however, was the installation of bicisendas (bike paths) right along my street!  They had blockaded a lane of traffic solely for bicycles.  After seeing the advanced system of bike routes in Vancouver, I could see a spark of hope for the “buenos" aires (“good” airs) down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment