Friday, August 13, 2010

New Americans

I started my Friday night by meeting up with Lillian, the niece of my grandma’s friend from New York City, who’s studying here for the semester.  We stopped in a very American-styled diner with rock ‘n’ roll music, malts and HUGE double cheeseburgers.  The majority of the customers in the diner were Argentine, even though it seemed to cater to foreigners. 

After that, I met up with Eduardo, another friend of my friend, Nicole.  (This is now the fourth connection that she’s made, and I’m so grateful for her fabulous choice of friends!)  He was a Spanish teacher in San Francisco for years and decided to give it up for a year to live in Argentina and Costa Rica.  We had a great dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Palermo Hollywood, Grappa, and chatted about all of the places we’ve been – he’s done some extensive traveling through living abroad and with his groups of high school students.  We continued on to a new club where his DJ friend was going to be spinning.  We arrived at 1:00 am and the place was empty.  People started to saunter in around 2:30 am and his friend started at 3:15 am (with another DJ to follow him).  I couldn’t last too long after he started, and we left just as the place was starting to fill up.  (I’m still not a full Porteña – can’t stay out until 7:00 am on a weekend.)

No comments:

Post a Comment